Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
9 Ways to Prepare for Oral Surgery:
- You may not have anything to eat or drink (including water) for six hours prior to the surgery appointment.
- Please wear loose-fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and close-toe shoes. NO FLIP-FLOPS OR SLIDES.
- No smoking (of any kind) for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- DO NOT WEAR ANY contact lenses or jewelry on the day of surgery. Dentures must be removed at the time of surgery.
- DO NOT wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Buchanan prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office as soon as possible.